First impressions are increasingly important when it comes to selling a home. You want to grab the interest of the potential home buyer from the driveway. The goal is to make them want to see what else your home offers. Enhance the positive features inside your house to keep their attention once they open the front door. Here are some tips to help you create a winning first impression and turn it into a lasting impression that brings in an offer.
Take a walk around your property and look for anything that could distract the buyer or prove to be a hazard. Look for holes in the ground that could cause someone to stumble. Replace dim or broken bulbs in outdoor light fixtures. Pack away decorations that may not appeal to potential buyers. You may love your collection of pink flamingos, but a buyer may just get distracted by them. Here are a few other ways to increase the appeal of your home’s exterior.
- Keep the lawn trimmed and remove debris.
- Freshen flower beds and add new bedding.
- Paint wooden fences and repair broken boards.
- Power wash the exterior of the house.
- Clean and repair all gutters and spouts.
- Apply a fresh coat of paint to the front door.
- Clean and tighten door handles.
- Windows should be cleaned inside and outside.
- Place a pop of color near the front door with potted flowers.
- Add a new welcome mat.
- Place outdoor furniture in conversational settings.
- Put away toys and bicycles.
The first step in creating an appealing interior is to do a deep cleaning that focuses on areas that are sometimes missed during routine cleanings. Clean above the cabinets, under the sinks, and areas where appliances meet other surfaces. Walk through your house with a critical eye and remove anything that disrupts the natural flow. Look for oversized furniture that needs to be removed. Here are other ways to enhance to interior appeal.
- Organize kitchen cabinets and pantries per size and product.
- Clean closets and organize by color and style. Remove shoes from the floor.
- Shampoo carpets throughout the house.
- Remove all personal collections, photographs, and political memorabilia.
- Repair any plumbing issues, including drips and leaks.
- Clean the walls and ceilings. If needed, apply fresh paint.
- Clean grout and replace broken tiles.
- Clean or replace worn or stained countertops.
- Turn spare rooms back into bedrooms.
During the time your home is on the market, you will have one or more open houses and quite a few showings. It’s important to keep your house clean and ready for visitors. Here are a few suggestions for creating the best possible environment for potential buyers.
- During the day, open the drapes and shutters to let in the nature light.
- Turn on all the lights.
- Place new hand towels in the bathrooms.
- Replace the bedding in bedrooms.
- Add new shades to lamps.
- Clean the fireplace and add a candelabrum.
- Have peaceful music playing in the background.
- A subtle fragrance is nice, but make sure it isn’t overwhelming.
- Set the dinner table with your best china.
- Secure pets safely in another location.
- Leave the house during the showing.
Your real estate agent is the best source of information about the local community and real estate topics. Give Robin Dodd a call today at 214-991-7698 to learn more about local areas, discuss selling a house, or tour available homes for sale.